Frequently Asked Questions
Registration of Borrowers
The Lake Dallas Public Library issues a library card for free to any person or persons who meet the residence and identification requirements listed below.
A current address is required for communication with patrons. If an individual’s state issued ID or driver’s license displays their current address, it is the only form of identification required.
Library cards shall be issued after verification of identity and residence. Patrons will not be issued a library card if they cannot provide a photo ID and proof of residency.
State Identification Card
School ID (with photo)
|Any Photo ID with current residency listed|
Mail received within the last 30 days
A card applicant who presents proper identification that they are a permanent resident of Lake Dallas or Shady Shores is eligible for a free library card. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older. Those applicants who are 15 years of age or younger must have a parent or legal guardian present in order to procure a library card.
In order to procure a card for an individual 15 years of age or younger, a parent or legal guardian must apply in person with the child. The parent or legal guardian must provide photo ID and address verification for themselves, as if they are applying for their own library card. If the child is unavailable, the parent or legal guardian must provide their own photo ID and address verification, as well as one of the following documents on behalf of the child:
Library cards for residents expire every three years, at which time the card holder will need to renew their card in person at the Lake Dallas Public Library.
Card applicants who do not live in Lake Dallas or Shady Shores are eligible for a library card for a $25.00 a year fee.
Library cards for non-residents expire every year, at which time the card holder will need to renew their card in person at the Lake Dallas Public Library and pay the yearly fee of $25.00.
To procure a card for an individual 15 years of age or younger, the parent or legal guardian must follow the same procedure stated above for residents with the addition of the $25.00 fee for the card.
Damaged ItemsItems that are deemed to be too damaged to be put in circulation will be subject to a fee for the price of the item as well as a $3.00 processing fee.
Items that are lost will be charged to the account of the last borrower, along with a $3.00 processing fee.
Copy ServicesCopies are available at $0.10 per page.
Printing in both black and white and color are available at $0.10 per page.
Faxing services are available for $0.75 per page.
Scanning documents to save to a flash drive or email are available for free.
Users who have personal electronic devices (laptops, hand-held games, etc.) with wireless Internet cards may be able to access a wireless connection from inside the building. Other public wireless networks may be accessible as well.
- Wireless access is available only during library hours.
- Printing is not available through wireless access.
- Signal strength may vary throughout the library. Please move to a different location within the library if you are having trouble securing a connection or staying online.
- Library staff cannot perform repairs or troubleshoot your equipment.
- Wireless connections are not secure; use caution when transmitting personal information.
- Be prepared to use battery power. Do not plug into an outlet where you block aisles, exits or access to materials or equipment.
- Libraries have limited electrical outlets available for public use in designated areas.
- The library cannot guarantee your equipment will work with the library's network.
- Do not leave your equipment unattended. The library is not responsible for equipment that is lost or stolen.
- Lake Dallas Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of user's equipment, security or data files.
- Users are prohibited from using the Library's network for illegal activity, to access illegal or obscene material, or to display material that violates the provisions of section 43.24 of the Texas Penal Code.
- The library has a limited number of computers for use. When in high demand, use will be limited to 55 minutes.