Texas Department of Public Safety
Frequently Requested Forms:
The Lake Dallas Police Department reminds everyone that the yearly holiday season brings joy to many but also creates opportunities for the criminal element. The tips provided by law enforcement are determined from actual criminal occurrences and it is strongly recommended that they are followed so you may protect yourself and your property in the best way possible.
- Do not leave purchased items visible in the car - leave them in the trunk or cover them if in an SUV. Remember that packages delivered and left on your porch are highly vulnerable. Do what you can to minimize the time they remain on your porch.
- Shopping in the evening hours may be less crowded, but there are also additional risks involved. Park in areas of parking lots that have adequate lighting and consider shopping with someone rather than going alone.
- Make sure purses and wallets are secure on your person and you are aware of their location at all times.
- Keep the amount of available cash you have at a minimum or separate it into different pockets or locations on or about your person. This way all of it is not lost if your purse or wallet is misplaced or stolen.
- Credit cards offer convenience and security, however, keep track of all cards and keep receipts to compare to your monthly statement.
- Remain aware of your surroundings at all times and move to and from your vehicle with confidence and purpose. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. Do not look like an easy victim; walk “tall”, head and eyes moving, watching for potential danger. Have keys ready before getting to your car so you do not have to search for them while standing near it. If accosted, fight for your life, scream, and utilize whatever you may have as a weapon (keys, umbrellas, kicks to the shins). Never give-up; never stop screaming.
- Report suspicious people or activity to law enforcement immediately! You may save someone else from harm or a property crime.
- Most importantly, use common sense to reduce your own vulnerability.
- Do not ever believe it won’t or can’t happen to you.