Driver Safety Course
***Court dates scheduled for April 13, and May 4 have been cancelled. All the cases scheduled for April 13 will be rescheduled for June 1. All cases scheduled for May 4 will be rescheduled for June 16.***
To protect the health and safety of the community and our employees, and help minimize the potential spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), City of Lake Dallas has the following operational changes out of an abundance of caution. Municipal Court in-person proceedings will be temporarily limited. Please call the court for online services.
Para proteger la salud y la seguridad de la comunidad y nuestros empleados, y ayudar a minimizar la propagación potencial de COVID-19 (Coronavirus), la Ciudad de Lake Dallas tiene los siguientes cambios operativos por precaución. Los procedimientos en persona en la Corte se limitarán temporalmente. Por favor llame a la corte para servicios en línea.
A driver safety course may be used to dismiss 1 moving traffic offense.
Driving Safety Course
About the Course
Note: Do not take the course before obtaining court approval. Please call or email email@example.com for online approval.
If charged with a traffic offense under the Subtitle C, Transportation Code, a request may be made to take a driving safety course. This option will result in a dismissal once you have complied with all the terms.
- You are eligible for a Driving Safety Course if:
- You do not possess a Commercial driver’s license.
- You have not completed a Driving Safety Course for ticket dismissal in the previous 12 months (calculated from date of previous completion date to the violation date of your current citation).
- You have a valid Texas driver’s license.
- You have valid proof of insurance (printed) showing you as a covered driver.
- Your violation was not in a construction / work zone with workers present.
- Your violation was not “Passing a School Bus”.
- Your citation was for a moving violation.
- Your actual speed must be less than 25 mph over the speed limit (if cited for speeding).
You have up to your due date on your citation to mail the Driving Safety Course Request Affidavit Form (see below), or bring the items listed below to the court and upon approval, the court will grant permission to take the course. If applying by mail, please wait to receive permission from the court before taking the course.
If you are eligible, you may sign up for a Driving Safety Course by sending the following five items to the court or appearing at the court on or before your appearance date:
- A copy of your valid car insurance showing you as a covered driver
- A copy of your valid Texas driver’s license
- Required fees: $144 for non-school zone violations and $169 for school zone violations.
- The Driving Safety Course Request Form
After Obtaining Approval & Paying Fees
Once you have obtained approval from the court and paid your fees, you must:
- Take a state approved driving safety course and return the course completion certificate within 90 days.
- Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. FORM 3A from WWW.TEXAS.GOV
- Submit both of the following to the court by your 90-day deadline.
Where You Can Take a Driving Safety Course
The Driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR). Court personnel cannot recommend a driving safety school. You can find more information about Driving Safety Courses through the TDLR’s Website.
Failure to Comply With Terms of Agreement
If you fail to comply with any of the requirements of the Driving Safety Course option, your case will be set for a Show Cause Hearing. The hearing is your opportunity to speak with the Judge regarding why you failed to comply. If you fail to appear at your hearing, a conviction will be entered and reported to the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the remaining balance of $200.00 will become due within 30 days of conviction or a warrant may be issued.